Older people from Hackney and Camden have had their say on arts and cultural activities as part of a consultation by Mayor of London Sadiq Khan.
A group of over 50s who are involved with Connect Hackney and Ageing Better Camden came together to contribute to the consultation on a draft culture strategy for London. The two local organisations are both part of the national Ageing Better programme funded by the Big Lottery Fund.
The Hackney and Camden over 50s revealed how important being able to enjoy arts and cultural activities can be for older people. Their comments included how cultural activities were good for their social lives, wellbeing and health.
A selection of comments shows how important participants felt culture was in their lives.
- “Attending concerts enhances my musical knowledge.”
- “Museums help me engage with ideas and maintain my ability to analyse and think.”
- “A cultural programme I attend has made me try new things which I would never normally do.”
- “Attending local arts venues gets me out of the house and mixing with others.”
- “Attending music venues gives me a sense of enjoyment and gratification.”
- “It helps to keep me active rather than sitting around at home.”
You can read the full response to the Mayor of London’s consultation here.